Spectrum TV App Troubleshooting
View live TV on SpectrumTV.com.
Having trouble with the Spectrum TV App? See below for some helpful tips or choose a topic from the quick links.
Incorrect username or password
- If you have a Spectrum email account, try using your full Spectrum username (including @charter.net).
- Make sure that you're using the correct Spectrum username and password. Note: Passwords are case sensitive. You can change case and symbols using the virtual keyboard.
- If you haven't created a username/email address, find out how.
- Sign in with the new username/email address.
Email domain @charter.tn or @charter.mi
- Create a new email address and assign it Head of Household privileges.
- Sign in with your new username/email address.
Streaming not available out of home
- Are you at home? If yes, then make sure your device is connected to your In-home WiFi network.
- Make sure that you subscribe to Spectrum TV and Internet. If you have Spectrum TV alone, then you'll only have access to out-of-home channels.
- Make sure the channel is available for out-of-home streaming. Make sure the channel is available for out-of-home streaming by visiting Spectrum support.
Limited/insufficient bandwidth causing video stream to buffer, freeze, choppy playback
- Are you at home? If yes, then make sure your device is connected to your In-home WiFi network and try again.
- Troubleshoot your WiFi network.
- Restart WiFi on your device.
- Try turning your device off and then on.
- Uninstall and reinstall the app, then sign in and try again.
- If you're using SpectrumTV.com, refresh your web browser and clear temporary files, cookies and history.
Watch on TV/TV mirroring won't work
- Go to Devices and make sure that your Spectrum Receiver is selected. Learn more about managing your devices in the Settings menu of the Spectrum TV App.
- Select the Watch on TV feature. Not seeing this option? This means that the channel is not available to watch.
Note: The Watch on TV feature is only available for Spectrum TV customers with the iGuide or Passport guide. Find out which guide you have.
- TV mirroring/screen mirroring: Are you using Android Cast or Apple Airplay to watch your show? If yes, then please make sure your devices are connected to you WiFi network.
Note: TV mirroring only works when your mobile devices and TV are connected to the same WiFi network in your home. Find out if your device is capable of TV mirroring.
- Turn your device off and then on again. Now open the app.
Authorization not allowed. Please disable VPN.
If you're using the Spectrum TV App through a VPN connection then the app will not work. Please disable the VPN in your device Wireless settings:
- iOS: Settings > General > VPN
- Android: Settings > Wireless & Networks > VPN
- Subscribe to Spectrum TV and Internet.
- If you haven't done so already, create a Spectrum username to sign in to the Spectrum TV App.
- Make sure that your account and all payments have been made.
- Are you using the Spectrum TV App? Make sure that your device meets the following requirements:
- Apple iOS 9.0+
- Android OS 4.2+
- Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX (excluding 1st generation Kindle)
- All Roku streaming devices (excluding 1st generation Roku)
- Xbox One
- Samsung Smart TV (2012-2017 models)
- Are you using SpectrumTV.com? Make sure you download the latest version of the Spectrum TV App on your device.
- Internet connection (at least 10 Mbps)
- Adobe Flash Player (version 20+ preferred)
- Find out more about which web browsers Spectrum supports.
App version out-of-date message
- Make sure you download the latest version of the Spectrum TV App on your device.
- Having trouble upgrading to the latest version? Please uninstall and reinstall the current version of the Spectrum TV App.
Upgrade OS (operating system) message
Update the OS (operating system) on your device to meet the Spectrum TV App following requirements:
- iOS: Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Android: Go to Settings > About phone/tablet > Software/System updates.
Trying to catch the Spectrum TV App through a jail-broken device?
- Restore your device to factory settings in order to use the Spectrum TV App.
Note: "Rooted" refers to a jail-broken Android device.
- Reinstall the Spectrum TV App, if it's not there.
Note: Parental control options may vary based on the device you're using. For specific info, select your device from the list below:
Learn more about parental control options for SpectrumTV.com.
Depending the operating system (OS) of your device, the Location permissions or services may be disabled. Refer to your device's User Manual for more info.
How to Disable Location Permissions for the Spectrum TV App:
Android 4.2 to 4.3:
Go to Settings > Location Access > Access to My Location and then toggle the setting OFF.
Android 4.4 to 5.1:
Go to Settings > Location and then toggle the setting OFF.
Android 6.0 or newer:
Go to Settings > Apps > Spectrum TV > Permissions > Location and then toggle the setting OFF.
iOS 9.0 or newer:
Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and then toggle the setting OFF.
For further support, please refer to your device's user manual.
Slow Internet Speeds
Slow Internet/WiFi Speeds.
- Reset your cable modem and/or router.
- Do you have multiple devices connected to the internet within your home? Having several different devices connected to your wireless network at once may weaken the wireless signal. Try turning off the WiFi on some of your devices for a while.
- Restart WiFi on your device (e.g. iPhone or iPad).
- Turn your device off and then on. (If you need additional help, please refer to your device's user manual for further instructions.)
Learn more about ways to improve your WiFi connection.
Seeing an Error? Follow these steps:
- If at home, confirm your device is connected to your WiFi.
- Close and re-open the Spectrum TV App or SpectrumTV.com webpage.
- Troubleshoot your WiFi network.
- Restart WiFi on your device (i.e. iPhone or iPad).
- Turn your device off and then on.
- Uninstall and reinstall the app, then sign in to the app again.