Slow Internet Speeds
Several factors can contribute to slow internet speeds. To achieve the best speeds possible:
- Ensure your internet browser is up to date.
- Restart your device.
- Ensure your modem is plugged into a functioning power supply and then connect your modem directly to your device (if applicable).
- If you're using a laptop or desktop computer, verify Power Save mode is OFF.
- Perform a speed test.
- Connect an amplifier/signal booster to increase the cable signal in your home.
If you're still experiencing issues with slow internet speeds, follow the steps below to troubleshoot the problem.
Check to see if your area is experiencing an outage.
The following conditions can affect connection speeds. See if any apply to you:
- File-Sharing Programs: File-sharing programs like BitTorrent constantly upload and download huge amounts of data, which can contribute to slow connection speeds.
- Viruses/Adware/Malware: To check your computer for harmful software, download Security Suite.
- Firewalls: A firewall monitors all network traffic on your computer, so a strict firewall can contribute to slow internet speeds. Try resetting your firewall to its default settings.
- Low Available System Memory (RAM): Closing non-essential applications can increase your computer's performance.
If you haven't already, use our Internet Troubleshooting Tool to try and resolve your problem. Sign in required.
- Before any troubleshooting, you should run a speed test.
- Delete all temporary internet files and cookies stored in your web browser. After doing so, run another speed test.
- Reset (power cycle) your modem:
- Unplug the power cord to your modem and remove any batteries.
- If you have your own router, be sure to unplug that too.
- Leave the power cord unplugged for about 15 seconds and then reinsert any batteries and plug it back in.
- Run another speed test.
Deleting temporary files, browser history and cookies helps you free up space on your computer. Learn more.
If all of your devices are experiencing slow speeds, check your network's security settings. Consider using Security Suite to manage your security settings.
If you continue to experience slow speeds at this point, contact us for help.