Self-Install Modem Replacement (Swap)
The following information is for customers who are replacing a Spectrum Internet modem and/or WiFi router.
Self-Install Replacemement Kit Contents
Spectrum Internet Modem Swap (Home Delivery/Store Kits):
- DOCSIS 3.0 Modem
- Power Cord
- Ethernet Cable
- Personalized Welcome Letter
- Easy Installation Guide For Modem Swaps
Getting a Self-Install Kit
There are two ways to get an Internet Self-Install Kit.
- Home Delivery Kit: Contact us to have a kit sent directly to your home. It generally arrives within three days.
- In-store pickup: You can visit one of our stores to get a Self-Install Kit.
Follow the steps below to swap your existing modem or the instructions included in your self-install kit.
Get the installation guide for your modem swap.
Note: Please see the diagram below to determine if your existing modem supports both your Internet and Voice service. You'll have a phone cable connected from your old modem to a phone jack or a handset if it supports both your Internet and Voice services. If your existing modem supports your Internet and Voice Service, your Voice service will be unavailable during the modem swap. Once your modem is activated, your Voice service will be restored.
Disconnect Your Old Modem
- Identify the modem that is connected to your computer or Wi-Fi router through an Ethernet cable.
- Unplug the old modem power cord from the electrical outlet. If you have a Wi-Fi router connected, unplug this power cord as well.
- Disconnect the coax cable and the Ethernet cable from the old modem.
- If there are phone cables connected to your modem, make a note of which port your phone cable(s) were plugged. Disconnect the phone cable(s).
Connect Your New Modem
- Connect the coax cable and the Ethernet cable to the new modem.
- If you disconnected the phone cable(s) from your old modem, connect them to the new modem in the same port(s) that they were connected to on the old modem.
- Use the power cord that came with the new modem to connect the modem to the electrical outlet and wait two minutes until your modem turns on.
- If you have a WiFi router, reconnect the power cord to the electrical outlet and wait for the router to power up.
Activate the Modem
- Open your Internet browser and go to the Activation Site.
- Select Get Started.
- Follow the prompts to complete activation.