Can't Make or Receive Calls
The following information will help to resolve problems you may be having with making or receiving calls. Select an issue listed below for more information.
Troubleshooting ToolThe Voice Troubleshooting Tool will identify and resolve issues you may have with your Spectrum Voice service. You'll need to sign in to Spectrum.net to access and use the troubleshoot tool.
No Dial Tone
You may have no dial tone on your phone for several reasons. Learn more about the steps you can take to resolve this issue.
Can't Receive Inbound Calls
First verify that the level of service you're trying to access is active. If your phone was installed less than 72 hours ago and you transferred your phone number from a previous carrier, you may experience problems receiving calls. It can take up to 72 hours for your previous phone provider to delete your information from their systems.
To resolve this issue:
- Ensure that all of your phones are hung up.
- Verify the ringer on your phone(s) is turned on.
- Ensure your phone is plugged into an active jack.
- Verify the following features aren't active:
- Call Forwarding
- Block Unwanted Callers
- Accept Selected Callers
- If there's a computer plugged into a phone jack, it shouldn't be connected to the internet using a dial-up connection.
- If there's a fax machine plugged into a phone jack, ensure that the fax is functioning properly.
- Try to reset your phone modem or Multimedia Terminal Adaptor (MTA).
Can't Make Outgoing Calls
- Try resetting your equipment (cordless phone, answering machine, or fax) by disconnecting it from the phone jack and power source and then reconnecting it.
- Reset your phone modem or MTA.
- Verify you're entering the phone number using the correct format. Local numbers may require you to enter a phone number one of these ways:
- 7 digit number
- Area code + 7 digit number
- 1 + area code + 7 digit number
- Long-distance calls are dialed with 1 + area code + 7 digit number.
- International dialing call pattern is 011+ country code + number.
- Try calling the number(s) from a non-Spectrum phone such as a cell phone. If you can't make the call using a non-Spectrum phone as well, the issue most likely lies with the receiving end.