New Spectrum Guide Settings: Accessibility
You can manage your Closed Captioning and Descriptive Video Services (DVS) settings through the new Spectrum Guide.
Not your guide? Find out which guide you have.
View Accessibility Options
To view or change your Accessibility settings:
- Press the Menu button on your remote, scroll to Settings & Support using the arrow buttons and then press OK/Select.
- Accessibility should be highlighted. Here you'll be able to choose from the following options:
- Closed Captioning: Turn the feature ON or OFF. When enabled, Closed Captioning displays the audio portion of a program as text on your TV screen.
- Descriptive Video Service (DVS): Turn the feature ON or OFF. When enabled, DVS provides a secondary audio track that narrates natural pauses in dialogue and can describe actions, costumes, facial expressions, settings and scene changes.
- Closed Captioning Settings: View and manage various Closed Captioning settings, such as the presentation, text style and color. Learn more about these settings below.
- After making changes to your settings, scroll down to highlight Save and then press OK/Select to confirm your changes.
Closed Captioning Settings
Please refer to the chart below for additional information about Closed Captioning settings.
|Presentation Settings||Adjust how Closed Captioning text appears on screen.||
Pop-On: Text appears as complete sentences, which can be followed with additional captions.
Roll-Up: Text scrolls up to make way for a new line and the top line is erased.
Paint-On: Text appears from left to right, one line at a time.
|Text Settings||Change the color, transparency, size and font of your Closed Captioning.||
Color: Select a color for the Closed Captioning text that will appear on your TV screen.
Transparency: Select the degree to which you can see through the text, either Opaque or Semi- transparent.
Size: Choose a small, medium, or large font.
Font: Select which font style you prefer for the Closed Captioning text.
Character Edge: Choose hoe you want the edges of the characters to appear in Closed Captioning text.
|Background Settings||Change the background on which your Closed Captioning text appears.||
Color: Select a background color that is different than the text color.
Transparency: Select the degree to which you can see through the background.
|Window Settings||Select a color and transparency setting for the window or box surrounding the Closed Captioning text.||
Color: Select a color for the box surrounding the Closed Captioning text.
Transparency: Select the degree to which you can see through the Closed Captioning box.
|Language||Select the default language for Closed Captioning.||
Primary Language: The language the program is broadcast in. This is usually English, but it may be Spanish, French or another language for foreign language packages.
Secondary Language: Matches the SAP (secondary audio stream) that a broadcaster may choose to transmit for the program.
CC3, CC4, CC5, CC6: Additional Closed Captioning tracks that may be provided by the programmer, including Descriptive Video Services (DVS).
|Closed Captioning Type||Select the type of Closed Captioning text to display.||
Standard Captioning: Displays the audio portion of a television program as text.
Easy Reader: Offers simplified Closed Captioning for viewers with a limited vocabulary (e.g. children).
To learn more about the new Spectrum Guide, please visit our new Spectrum Guide support page.