Remote Control Troubleshooting
Your Spectrum remote provides many useful features. If you're having trouble with it, please refer to the following tips, which are universal to all our remotes.
Use the quick links below to navigate to a section of your choice. For further assistance, visit our remote control page to learn more about your specific remote.
LED Light Not Flashing/Red Light Flashing Repeatedly
This usually indicates that your batteries are low. Please replace them with two new alkaline batteries.
Remote Not Changing Channel/Slow Response
- Press the CBL button on your remote, then use the +/- CH button or enter the channel number to change the channel through the Spectrum receiver.
- If the channel is a single digit, enter a zero in front of it for the Spectrum receiver to recognize it. For example: Channel 5 should be entered as 05 rather than 5.
- Try pressing ENTER on your remote control after you enter the channel number.
- Ensure the power light on your Spectrum receiver is lit, indicating it's turned on.
- Use the front panel buttons of your Spectrum receiver to try changing the channels to verify proper operation.
- Ensure nothing is blocking the front of the Spectrum receiver (e.g., furniture) and that you're operating the remote control within about 20 feet of the Spectrum receiver.
- Check the batteries and replace them with two new alkaline batteries if they're low.
- Refer to your remote control setup instructions and make sure you have the correct codes programmed for your equipment.
- If necessary, try turning off any fluorescent light sources that may interfere with the infrared communications from a remote to a Spectrum receiver to see if that makes a difference. If it does, here are some possible remedies:
- Move the Spectrum receiver so it's not directly centered under the TV.
- Turn the Spectrum receiver slightly so the remote hits it from an angle.
- Place a small piece of masking tape over the infrared receiver of the Spectrum receiver to reduce the amount of infrared signal that reaches the Spectrum receiver, which may also reduce the range of your remote.
- Restart (power cycle) your Spectrum receiver by unplugging it for 15 seconds and then plugging it back in. Turn your Spectrum receiver back on and the try using your remote again.
Remote Changes Channels, but not Volume on TV
If the remote changes the channels but does not control the volume and/or turn the TV on and off, you'll need to program the remote to control your TV. Learn more
Buying/Exchanging a Remote
Spectrum provides a remote control with each of its Spectrum receivers at no additional cost.
We will repair/replace the remote if it doesn't work as a result of normal wear and tear. You can pick up a replacement remote at your local Spectrum store. Please bring your old remote with you.
If there isn't a Spectrum Store near you, we may be able to ship a remote to you at no charge.
Setting Up Spectrum TV Video
Programming Your Spectrum Remote Video
Identifying Your Remote Video
Programming Your Remote Video
Spectrum Guide Navigation Video
Welcome to Spectrum Guide Video
TV Everywhere Video
Spectrum Guide: Using Favorites Video
Spectrum Guide: My Library Video
Spectrum Guide: Parental Controls Video