TV Frozen/Tiling/Squares on Screen
You may see tiling or squares on your TV for a second or two when changing channels. This is the digital video signal updating itself and is a normal occurrence. If you see tiling happen at other times, the following information may be helpful.
If you experience digital tiling at the same time each day for 15 minutes or less, you may be affected by a sun outage.
Sun outages occur every February/March and September/October and can cause the degradation or loss of satellite signal for short periods of time each day for about 2 weeks.
Interruptions can last from just a few minutes to up to 15 minutes a day and can range from mild to severe. Learn more about sun outages, including affected locations, dates and times.
Sun outages are a short-term problem that affects all television service providers. If any group of channels is affected for longer than 15 minutes or if all channels are affected at one time, please contact us.
If you're experiencing a frozen picture, tiling or squares on your TV, and it is not related to a sun outage, try the following:
- Make sure your TV is on the correct input (Video 1, Video 2, HDMI, etc.) by pressing the Input, Source, or TV/Video button on the TV remote or tuning to channel 3 or 4.
- Change the channel and then tune back to the tiling channel to see if the issue persists.
- Check behind the TV and all related equipment (Spectrum receiver, DVD player, stereo receiver, etc.) and check the coax cable at the wall outlet for any loose or damaged connectors.
- Make sure all equipment is connected correctly and the Spectrum receiver is the first piece of equipment connected to the coax outlet. Get more information on connecting your equipment.
- If your TV was recently moved from another cable outlet in your house, return the TV to its original location.
- Reset (power cycle) all Spectrum receivers:
Reset (Power Cycle) Your Spectrum Receiver (cable box)
Motorola and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta Spectrum Receivers:
Reset (power cycle) your Spectrum receivers by unplugging them for 15 seconds then plugging them back in. Wait up to 20 minutes for the receivers to fully recover and turn them back on.
Moxi Spectrum Receivers:
Press and hold the Reset/Power button located on the front of the Spectrum receiver.