Windows 7: Locate and Repair Your IP or DNS Address
The following information will help you troubleshoot IP address problems in Windows 7.
Repairing your IP address
- Select Start from the task bar, then Control Panel.
- Select View by: Category.
- Choose Network and Internet, as shown in the image below.
- Select Network and Sharing Center, then locate and select Connections, as shown in the image below.
- The Connection Status will display. This screen provides details for the connection, including wireless network name, connectivity status, and the duration of the connection.
- Selecting Diagnose will allow the connection to reconnect or repair the IP address.
- Selecting Details will display more details about the connection such as IP address, default gateway, and DNS (Domain Name System) servers, as shown in the image below.
Locate / Specify your IP or DNS address
- Select Properties in the Connection Status window to view Network Connection Properties.
- Within Wireless Network Connection Properties, locate and highlight Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Choose Properties, as shown in the image below.
- From the Internet Protocol Version 4 Properties window, the user can locate the IP and DNS settings.
- Under normal conditions, the IP and DNS should both be configured to Obtain Automatically.
- To specify an IP or DNS address, select Use the Following DNS server addresses and input the full address.
- Select OK to save the information.