Spectrum Email: Switching From POP to IMAP
Switching from POP to IMAP allows you to transfer your existing emails within an email client from one email account into another email account. The IMAP setting also allows you to access your email account from multiple devices (desktop, cell phone, or laptop).
Emails are sent and received using POP and IMAP settings. POP and IMAP are two different settings used when configuring existing and new email accounts.
POP is an email setting that downloads emails from a server to a single device. POP settings may limit you to accessing your email account on only one device. After an email is downloaded, the email is stored on that device and deleted from the server. Emails can appear missing if you are trying to access your email from other devices. IMAP is an email setting that downloads emails from a server to multiple devices. The IMAP setting is required when configuring your Spectrum Email.
The following are generic instructions to prevent you from losing your email or email folders when switching from POP to IMAP, and may differ depending on which client you're using:
If you had "Leave messages on server" enabled since your initial Spectrum Email setup, follow these steps:
- Create an IMAP-enabled account for the email address you want to switch within the same email client (most modern email clients can have both a POP-enabled and IMAP-enabled mailbox/account that share the same account credentials).
- Delete your POP mailbox account from the email client.
If you did NOT have "Leave messages on server" enabled since the initial setup of your Spectrum Email or if you're not sure, follow these steps:
- Ensure that you have the option "Leave messages on server" checked in your account settings on your email client. This setting should be available under "Advanced Settings" or something similar, depending on the client.
- If you have the option to disable Send/Receive in your email client, disable it to ensure no new messages are delivered to the POP-enabled mailbox/account.
- Create an IMAP-enabled account for the email address you want to switch to within same email client (most modern Email clients can have both a POP-enabled and IMAP-enabled mailbox/account that share the same account credentials).
- Move messages and/or folders by creating a storage or data folder (Outlook calls these PST), then drag and drop the messages/folders you wish to keep into the new folder.
- When you've moved over all of your emails/folders, you can delete your POP mailbox.
The following settings are required when setting up your Spectrum Email on a desktop computer or mobile device:
To ensure the best connection when configuring your Spectrum email account, we recommend using the settings below. These settings are required when setting up your email on a laptop, smartphone, PDA, tablet, eReader, etc.
|User Information||Enter Mobile Settings Below|
|Your Name:||Enter Your Name|
|Account Type: POP/IMAP||IMAP|
|Incoming Email Server:||mobile.charter.net|
|Outgoing Email Server:||mobile.charter.net|
|Sign In Information|
|Password:||The password you use to sign in to your email account|
|Incoming Server (IMAP):||993|
|Outgoing Server (SMTP):||587|
|SSL:||This setting should be ON for both SMTP and IMAP.|
|Requires Authentication:||Yes, or checked. (Use same settings as my incoming mail server)|
You can access your Spectrum Email by configuring a mobile device to receive Spectrum Email.
You can access your Spectrum Email by configuring a mobile device.