Spectrum Email: Switching From POP to IMAP
POP and IMAP are two different settings used to access your email account. The IMAP setting also allows you to view your emails from multiple devices (desktop, cell phone, or laptop), while the POP setting limits access to your email account by downloading your new messages from a server to a single device. Once your emails are downloaded, they are deleted from the email server, which is why messages may appear to be missing if you're trying to access your email from multiple devices with POP enabled.
Switching from POP to IMAP allows you to transfer existing emails from one email account to another. Follow the instructions below to avoid losing your email messages or folders when switching between the two settings.
- Enable the Leave messages on server option in your account settings.
- Disable Send/Receive in your email client to ensure no new messages are delivered to the POP-enabled mailbox.
- Create an IMAP-enabled account for your email address within the same email client.
- Delete your POP mailbox account from the email client.
- Create a storage or data folder (Outlook calls these PST), then drag and drop the messages and/or folders you wish to keep into the new folder.
- After you've transfered your emails/folders, you can delete your POP mailbox.
To ensure the best connection when configuring your Spectrum email account, we recommend using the settings below.
|User Information||Email Settings|
|Your Name:||Enter Your Name|
|Account Type: POP/IMAP||IMAP|
|Incoming Email Server:||mobile.charter.net|
|Outgoing Email Server:||mobile.charter.net|
|Sign In Information|
|Password:||The password you use to sign in to your email account|
|Incoming Server (IMAP):||993|
|Outgoing Server (SMTP):||587|
|SSL:||This setting should be ON for both SMTP and IMAP.|
|Requires Authentication:||Yes, or checked. (Use same settings as my incoming mail server)|
You can access your Spectrum email on a mobile device. Learn more.