Spectrum Email: Switching From POP to IMAP
POP and IMAP are two different settings used to access your email account. The IMAP setting allows you to view your emails on multiple devices, while the POP setting means your messages are deleted from the email server once they've been downloaded to a single device.
Switching from POP to IMAP allows you to transfer existing emails from one email account to another. Follow the instructions below to avoid losing your email messages or folders when switching to IMAP to use Spectrum Email.
- In your account settings, enable the Leave messages on server option.
- Disable Send/Receive in your email client to make sure no new messages are delivered to the POP-enabled mailbox.
- Create an IMAP-enabled account for your email address within the same email client. Instructions on how to do this should be available from your email provider.
- Delete your POP mailbox account from the email client.
- Create a storage or data folder (Outlook calls these PST), then drag and drop the messages and/or folders you wish to keep into the new folder.
- After you've transfered your emails/folders, you can delete your POP mailbox.
For optimal results, we recommend using the settings below when configuring your Spectrum email account:
|User Information||Email Settings|
|Your Name:||Enter Your Name|
|Account Type: POP/IMAP||IMAP|
|Incoming Email Server:||mobile.charter.net|
|Outgoing Email Server:||mobile.charter.net|
|Password:||The password you use to sign in to your email account|
|Incoming Server (IMAP):||993|
|Outgoing Server (SMTP):||587|
|SSL:||This setting should be ON for both SMTP and IMAP.|
|Requires Authentication:||Yes, or checked (Use same settings as my incoming mail server)|
Learn more about accessing your Spectrum email on your mobile device.