Self-Install Spectrum Internet & WiFi Service
The following information is for customers who are installing Spectrum Internet AND In-home WiFi at the same time. If you are only installing one service, you can get a guide for installing Spectrum Internet or In-home WiFi.
Spectrum Internet Self-Installation:
- D3 Modem or eMTA
- Power Cord
- Ethernet Cable
- Coax and Splitter
In-home WiFi Self-Installation:
- Router Stand
- Power Cord
- Welcome Letter
- Installing your Wireless Router Instruction Card
- Triple Play User Guide
- Charter Legal Pamphlet (Service Details, Policies and Customer Agreements)
In The Box:
- Netgear Legal Pamphlet
- Two Pre-printed SSID & Passcode Stickers
To have a Spectrum Internet and WiFi Self-Install Kit shipped directly to you, contact us. The kit generally arrives within three days.
- Availability of Spectrum Internet and In-home WiFi service and equipment in your area.
- An internet compatible computer. Your computer will be used during the self-installation in order to properly complete the installation.
- A current subscription to at least Expanded Basic TV service.
- Understanding and agreement with the self-install terms.
- An active cable outlet within 6 feet of the modem.
- You feel comfortable enough to attempt the self-install process, which will include connecting cables to the modem and computer, using a web browser, etc.
Follow the steps below to install Spectrum Internet and In-home WiFi. Or use the instructions included in your self-install kit.
- Connect one end of the long coax cable to the outlet in the wall and the other end to the modem.
- Connect the power cord to the modem and plug in the modem. Wait approximately two minutes until your modem turns on.
- Attach the stand to the router.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to your modem and the other end to the yellow internet port on your router.
- Connect the power cord to the router, then plug it into an outlet. The router is ready to use when the power light changes from amber to green. At that time the lights for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz indicate which Wi-Fi bands are available. If none of the lights turn on, make sure the Power On/Off button is in the ON position (pushed in).
- Connect a wireless device to your router.
- Open the program or application that manages the WiFi connections on your device.
- Look for your unique Network Name (SSID) beginning with "MyCharterWiFi" or "MySpectryumWiFi." It's printed on your router and on the stickers provided. If you see the name ending in "5G," your device is 5 GHz-capable. Connecting to the "5G" network may provide a better experience.
- Enter your unique pre-set password, also found printed on your router and on the stickers provided.
- Follow steps a-c to connect other devices.
- Alternatively, you may use another Ethernet cable (not provided) to establish a wired connection from the router (using ports 1-4) to a device such as a laptop or desktop computer.
- Launch a browser session to confirm Internet connectivity.
Activate the Modem
- Open an internet browser and go to: https://install.charter.com/ and select Install New Service to activate the modem.
- Follow the prompts to complete activation.
Your router has a unique pre-set WiFi Network Name (SSID) and Network Key (Password). The default SSID and Network Key are uniquely generated for every device to protect and maximize your wireless security. This information is printed on your router.
We recommend that you do NOT change the pre-set WiFi Network Name and Network Key. If you change the settings, the information printed on the router will no longer apply.
You can request the services of a technician if you fail to complete a self-installation.
You'll incur a service charge at the professional installation rate if the technician determines the failure is directly related to:
- Your equipment (TV, entertainment system, etc.)
- Your inability or unwillingness to complete the self-installation process
- Mistakes you made during the self-installation process
If the technician determines the failure is directly related to Spectrum-issued equipment or our wiring infrastructure, no installation or service charges will be applied for the ensuing professional installation.