Self-Install In-Home WiFi
The following information is for existing Spectrum Internet customers installing In-home WiFi.
In-home WiFi Self-Installation:
- Router Stand
- Power Cord
- Ethernet Cable
- Installing Your Wireless Router Instruction Card
- Triple Play User Guide
- Spectrum Legal Pamphlet (Service Details, Policies and Customer Agreements)
In the Box:
- Welcome Letter
- SSID & Passcode Stickers (2)
- Router Manufacturer Legal Pamphlet
To have an In-home WiFi Self-Install Kit shipped directly to you, contact us. The kit will generally arrive within three days.
Follow the steps below to install your In-home WiFi router or the instructions included in your self-install kit. You can also download an installation guide for your WiFi router.
Before You Begin:
If there's an Ethernet cable connecting your modem to your computer, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer before you install your router.
- Attach the stand to the router.
- Unplug your modem.
- Plug your modem back in and wait approximately two minutes until the modem turns back on.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to your modem and the other end to the yellow internet port on your router.
- Connect the power cord to the router, then plug it into an outlet. The router is ready to use when the power light changes from amber to green. The lights for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz should light up, indicating which WiFi bands are available. If none of the lights turn on, make sure the Power On/Off button is in the ON position (pushed in).
- Connect a wireless device to your router.
- Open the software utility that manages the WiFi connections on your device.
- Look for your unique Network Name (SSID) beginning with "MyCharterWiFi" or "MySpectrumWiFi." It's printed on your router and on the stickers provided.
- Enter your unique preset password, which can be found printed on your router and on the stickers provided.
- Follow steps a-c to connect other devices.
- You can also use another Ethernet cable (not provided) to establish a wired connection from the router (using ports 1-4) to a device such as a laptop or desktop computer.
- Open your browser and confirm that you're connected to the internet.
Your router has a unique preset WiFi Network Name (SSID) and Network Key (Password). The default SSID and Network Key are uniquely generated for every device to maximize your wireless security. This information is printed on your router.
You can contact us to request the services of a technician if you fail to complete a self-installation.
You'll incur a service charge at the professional installation rate if the technician determines the failure is directly related to:
- Your equipment (TV, entertainment system, etc.)
- Your inability to complete the self-installation
- An error you made during the self-installation
If the technician determines the failure is directly related to Spectrum equipment or our wiring infrastructure, no service charges will be applied for the professional installation.