Self-Install In-home WiFi
The following information is for EXISTING Spectrum Internet customers installing In-home WiFi.
In-home WiFi Self-Installation:
- Router Stand
- Power Cord
- Ethernet Cable
- Installing Your Wireless Router Instruction Card
- Triple Play User Guide
- Charter Communications Legal Pamphlet (Service Details, Policies and Customer Agreements)
In the Box:
- Welcome Letter
- SSID & Passcode Stickers (2)
- Router Manufacturer Legal Pamphlet
To have a In-home WiFi Self-Install Kit shipped directly to you, contact us. The kit generally arrives within three days.
- You must be a current Spectrum customer.
- You feel comfortable enough to attempt the self-install process, which includes connecting cables to the modem and computer, using a web browser, etc.
- You must understand and agree to the self-install terms.
Follow the steps below to install your In-home WiFi router or the instructions included in your self-install kit.
Download an installation guide for your WiFi router.
Before You Begin:
If there's an Ethernet cable connecting your modem to your computer, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer before you install your router.
- Attach the stand to the router.
- Unplug your modem.
- Plug your modem back in and wait approximately two minutes until the modem turns back on.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to your modem and the other end to the yellow internet port on your router.
- Connect the power cord to the router, then plug it into an outlet. The router is ready to use when the power light changes from amber to green. The lights for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz should light up, indicating which WiFi bands are available. If none of the lights turn on, make sure the Power On/Off button is in the ON position (pushed in).
- Connect a wireless device to your router.
- Open the software utility that manages the WiFi connections on your device.
- Look for your unique Network Name (SSID) beginning with "MyCharterWiFi" or "MySpectrumWiFi." It's printed on your router and on the stickers provided. If you see the name ending in "5G," your device is 5 GHz-capable. Connecting to the "5G" network may provide a better experience.
- Enter your unique pre-set password, also found printed on your router and on the stickers provided.
- Follow steps a-c to connect other devices.
- Alternatively, you may use another Ethernet cable (not provided) to establish a wired connection from the router (using ports 1-4) to a device such as a laptop or desktop computer.
- Launch a browser session to confirm that you're connected to the internet.
Your router has a unique pre-set WiFi Network Name (SSID) and Network Key (Password). The default SSID and Network Key are uniquely generated for every device to protect and maximize your wireless security. This information is printed on your router.
We recommend that you do NOT change the pre-set WiFi Network Name and Network Key. If you change the settings, the information printed on the router will no longer apply.
You may request the services of a technician if you fail to complete a self-installation. If so, you should contact us.
You will incur a service charge at the professional installation rate if the technician determines the failure is directly related to:
- Your equipment (TV, entertainment system, etc.)
- Your inability or unwillingness to complete the self-installation process
- Mistakes you made during the self-installation process
If the technician determines the failure is directly related to Spectrum equipment or our wiring infrastructure, no installation or service charges will be applied for the ensuing professional installation.