Security Suite: AntiBot Scanner
Spectrum's AntiBot Scanner can be run on Windows computers to remove malicious software. Use the quick links below to navigate to a section of your choice.
- Operating System: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 (all editions)
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 2GHz or higher.
- Memory requirements: 1 GB or more.
- Browser: Internet Explorer 11.
- Live internet connection.
Download and Run the AntiBot Scanner
It's recommended that you back up important files and close out open applications prior to running the AntiBot Scanner on your computer.
- Download the AntiBot Scanner and select Run.
- Accept the Terms & Conditions, and then select Start to scan your computer for malware. You may be asked to restart your computer during the installation.
- Once scanning is complete, select Close to exit.
- If malware is found, you're encouraged to change your passwords for sensitive sites such as email accounts and online banking.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a botnet?
A botnet is a group of devices that are infected with malware and controlled remotely without your knowledge. Botnet malware is designed to be discreet and undetectable by standard virus scan software.
How do botnet infections occur?
A botnet may infect your computer after you've opened an infected email attachment, visited a malicious webpage, selected a suspect link or downloaded files from peer-to-peer file sharing networks.
How do I remove a botnet?
Spectrum's Security Suite has monitoring tools for this type of infection. However, due to the nature of botnets, there is rarely a definite fix.
Tho protect your computer:
- Update all anti-virus and firewall programs.
- Scan your computer regularly for malicious software.
- Use an advanced malware removal tool, such as the AntiBot Scanner, along with your antivirus software to attempt to remove the botnet.
- Run a detection and removal tool on all computers in your home, as well as on guest computers that have connected to your network.
- Update all plug-ins on your browsers and applications.
- Update your operating system (OS), when available.
- After your device has been cleared of infection, change your passwords for sensitive sites and applications such as email accounts and online banking.
How can I protect myself from botnets?
- Keep your antivirus software and firewalls up to date.
- Don't open suspicious email links or attachments sent from an unknown source.
- Be careful when typing a web address in your browser, as malicious software is often hosted on webpages that're similar in spelling to popular sites.
- Don't use P2P (peer-to-Peer) file sharing programs openly on the web. These programs may attach a malicious file to popular downloads.
I received a pop-up message from Spectrum saying that Botnet Malware was detected on my computer. What should I do?
If botnet malware is detected, you'll be prompted to run an AntiBot Scanner immediately. To prevent future botnet malware infections, download Security Suite.